“We’re always trying to measure ourselves up to who we’re supposed to be, and it takes our attention away from who do I want to be? Who do I feel that I am?”
I talk with writer, teacher, and embodiment coach Prentis Hemphill, who is also behind one of my favorite podcasts, Finding Our Way. As the founder of the Embodiment Institute and a somatics teacher and facilitator, Prentis spends a lot of time exploring how we relate to ourselves and our bodies. We talk about what dignity feels like in the body, how the dominant culture cuts us off from the natural bodily rhythms of life, and why healing always happens in relationship.
Key ideas we explore in this episode:
- What it means to truly honor your body (and what it opens up)
- How we spend most of our lives in “control mode” with regard to our bodies
- How parts of our body can get stuck in the past, running on old narratives
- How curiosity can open up a more liberated experience of being alive
- Why and how our transformations truly get revealed in relationship
Check out our sponsors:
Hover has a domain name for whatever you’re passionate about. Get 10% off your first domain name, and start laying the groundwork for your next big idea, by visiting hover.com/hurryslowly.
Dig into the resources:
The ideas and media mentioned in this episode:
- For the Wild: Prentis Hemphill on Choosing Belonging
- Emergent Strategy: Boundaried Love with Prentis Hemphill
- Listen to Prentis’ excellent podcast Finding Our Way
- Subscribe to the Embodiment Institute newsletter
- Follow Prentis on Instagram
Support Hurry Slowly:
- Subscribe on iTunes or Spotify.
- Leave a rating for the show.
- Make a donation to Hurry Slowly.
- Share this episode with a friend!